Keystone Insurers Group meets your insurance needs through our in-depth knowledge of both quality insurance products and the needs of the transportation industry.
What Is Covered by Trucking Insurance?
- Non-Trucking Liability, (NTL) Insurance – Sometimes incorrectly referred to as "Bobtail" insurance, NTL provides liability coverage when the truck is used for purposes outside the scope of the lease and not under dispatch (e.g., using the truck on weekends to run errands).
- Primary Liability Insurance – Every trucker and trucking company operating under their own authority is required to carry primary liability coverage on all owned units. Typically, it’s also required for any leased vehicles.
- Cargo Insurance – Provides coverage for loss or damage to the property a truck is transporting (i.e., the load). It is typically, but not always, provided by the motor carrier for leased operators.
- Physical Damage Insurance (Collision, Specified Perils) – Provides coverage for repair or replacement when damage results from a covered cause (i.e., collision, fire, theft, hail, windstorm, earthquake, flood, mischief, or vandalism) to owned vehicles.
- Occupational Accident Insurance (Occ/Acc) – Insurance product designed specifically for owner-operators in the trucking industry. In most states, self-employed owner-operators can opt out of state-mandated workers compensation coverage. Although Occ/Acc is not the same as workers compensation, it is similar in scope and intent. Most motor carriers require their leased operators to be covered either by workers compensation or Occ/Acc at the leased operator's expense. For those who qualify, Occ/Acc is generally a lower cost alternative.
What's the difference between primary liability and non-trucking liability?
If you are an owner/operator being leased by motor carrier, then generally you will need non-trucking insurance. When you are under dispatch for a motor carrier, their primary liability trucking insurance covers you.
If you have your own authority, are a trucking company, and have your own customers, you require your own primary liability trucking insurance services.
Contact Keystone Insurers Group to learn how we can meet your commercial trucking insurances needs, quickly and affordably. Call us today – 814-629-5607!